Final Destination | It’s NOT Over!
The plans to make a new FINAL DESTINATION have not been abandoned
Years ago, when I first came across the original ‘Final Destination‘, I thought the film would be a one-off, something that would make a decent profit but not something that would turn into a horror movie franchise. How wrong I was, thankfully. I like the ‘Final Destination‘ franchise. It is something that I can easily sit down with and enjoy time and again.
Ok, some of the movies are better than others and you could be forgiven for thinking ‘How many more times can things like this happen without someone getting SLIGHTLY suspicious?’. But that’s the best thing about the films. I enjoy the suspense that builds before a character is killed off in a shockingly gory and nasty way, the thrill of trying to guess exactly how they will end up dying, the false flags that accompany their demise. It is so much fun being kept on the edge of your seat and knowing that you could end up jumping out of it. The last film in the franchise ‘Final Destination 5‘ came out nine years ago now. It was a fitting ending to the franchise as there has been no sign of a sixth film, despite reports that one would be made. Well, death seems like it has taken a nine-year rest and is now ready to make a killer comeback.
Two years ago, New Line Cinema hired horror genre regulars, Marcus Dunstan and Patrick Melton to conceive and write a brand new chapter in the franchise. And earlier this year, the writer of the first two movies, Jeffrey Reddick, and the producer on the franchise Craig Perry both said that the sixth film was still going ahead but until now, there has been no further news on the project. But now, Reddick has allayed fans fears for the film with a post on his Twitter account:
It's not over. They were developing another #FinalDestination until Covid hit. They'll pick it back up once the business starts back up. https://t.co/yEKz5SwG1o
— Jeffrey Reddick 🌈👻 (@JeffreyaReddick) November 22, 2020
“It’s not over. They were developing another #FinalDestination until Covid hit. They’ll pick it back up once the business starts back up”
Well, that is great news. Another film in the franchise wouldn’t go amiss. And considering the direction they are thinking of going in, it could reinvigorate the franchise once again. Craig Perry has said regarding the film:
“We’re toying with having it take place in the world of first responders: EMTs, firemen, and police. These people deal with death on the front lines every day and make choices that can cause people to live or die. We rely on their good judgment, expertise, and calm demeanor. So why not put those people in the nightmare situation where every choice can bring about life and death -but now for themselves?”
Perry also teased about a possible way of a character meeting their maker in the new film by cryptically saying:
“I don’t think anybody will look at a revolving door in the same way again…”
Sounds interesting to me! I adore the inventive ways they always find to wipe out the cast during the running time of the movies and the obligatory sting in the tale that accompanies the climax. Add in the last two films were released in 3D, bringing an extra dimension to the thrills and kills in the movies, and it makes for enjoyable evening entertainment. I believe it is a good idea to go with the idea they are currently touting at the moment, mainly due to how the last film ended, in an extremely clever and surprising way (no spoilers in case you haven’t seen it) and so, this is the logical way to continue the franchise. Bring back Brian Tyler to compose the score again, throw in some gruesome and nasty deaths, release it in both 2D and 3D for the choice of the audience and you have another winning formula. And you can count me in!
The Future of the Force. The future of pop culture writing.
Carl Roberts is a Senior Entertainment/Books and Literature Correspondent for The Future of the Force. Aside from being our horror genre aficionado, he is also passionate about Star Wars, Marvel, DC, and the Indiana Jones movies. Follow him on Twitter @CarlRoberts2 where he uses the force frequently!
Website | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube
Source: Jeffrey ReddickFeel the Force on Social Media.
Carl Roberts is the News Editor of The Future of the Force. Aside from being our horror genre aficionado, he is also passionate about Star Wars, Marvel, DC, and the Indiana Jones movies. Follow him on Twitter where he uses the force frequently!