The mystery deepens as reports reveal the cast selection for James Gunn’s sequel that’s not a sequel!
Another day another mystery from James Gunn’s The Suicide Squad.
The highly anticipated sequel has been hitting the headlines and baffling fans around the world for several weeks now with conflicting information, baffling contradictions from the cast of the previous outing and Will Smith’s withdrawal due to scheduling conflicts.
With Smith departing the role of Deadshot, Idris Elba was sought as a direct replacement to star alongside Margot Robbie’s iconic incarnation of Harley Quinn, however recent reports have suggested the actor will be portraying a completely new character, therefore, leaving the door open for Smith’s return in future sequels.
Days later, Jai Courtney was quoted as saying he was looking forward to returning the fold as Captain Boomerang which directly contradicts all previous reports suggesting James Gunn was targeting a completely new team. And to add to more confusion to the mystery, reports appeared to confirm that Joel Kinnaman was not expected to return as team leader, Rick Flagg in any capacity.
The one undeniable rumour which refused to go away, however, was the anticipated return of one of David Ayer’s most prominent cast members. Viola Davis. Davis was a glorious addition to the last outing as the infamous Amanda Waller and her departure from the sequel/reboot would not be welcomed by anyone.
Peter Safran, one of the producers on The Suicide Squad, has declared repeatedly that this new movie isn’t a sequel. However, with so many conflicting reports emerging from various news sources around the world, his comments have only deepened the mystery further. Now, until an official press release hits the wires from Warner Bros. every shred of information should be taken with a pinch of salt. Nothing has been confirmed to date. However, from the reports and rumours emerging from various sources, the slivers of truth are emerging and the real picture behind the production is becoming clear. So, let’s wipe the slate clean and focus on what we can expect from The Suicide Squad.
A Little Clarity:
- Will Smith will not be participating in The Suicide Squad due to scheduling conflicts. However, he will be free to return to the fold in future instalments.
- Viola Davis is expected to return to the role of Amanda Waller to add her influence on James Gunn’s sequel.
- Jai Courtney believes 100% that he will be returning as Captain Boomerang for The Suicide Squad.
- Joel Kinnaman is now expected to reprise his role as Rick Flagg.
- Idris Elba will be joining the cast as a new member of the team.
- Margot Robbie is expected to reprise her role as Harley Quinn.
- And finally, the expected roster for James Gunn’s The Suicide Squad appears to be as follows: Idris Elba (Unknown Role), Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn, Jai Courtney as Captain Boomerang, King Shark (CGI), Peacemaker, Polka-Dot Man and Ratcatcher with leadership provided by Viola Davis as Amanda Waller and Joel Kinnaman as Rick Flagg.
Whether this line-up ends up being the ACTUAL roster for James Gunn’s sequel/reboot or not, the movie appears to be neither reboot nor a sequel but an amalgamation of both, including elements from David Ayer’s original whilst embracing the freshness only James Gunn can deliver. Either way, these rumours are enough to keep us all entertained for the time being and fans can dare to dream of another Suicide Squad movie with many of DC’s most colourful characters.
Stay tuned to The Future of the Force for updates as they emerge.
The Future of the Force. The future of pop culture writing.
Phil Roberts is the Owner, Daily Content Manager, and Editor-In-Chief of The Future of the Force. He is passionate about Star Wars, Batman, DC, Marvel, Star Trek, Indiana Jones, Ghostbusters, King Kong, and the Ray Harryhausen movies. Follow him on Twitter where he uses the force and babbles frequently!