A New Restored Edition of Robocop Hits 4K Blu-Ray this Christmas
Arrow Films to release a stunning new restored 4K Blu-Ray edition of Paul Verhoeven’s Robocop
Arrow Video has announced that just before Christmas this year, they will be releasing a Restored 4K Blu-Ray edition of the original (and best) Robocop. The transfer was personally overseen by the film’s director, Paul Verhoeven and has been restored from the original MGM negative.
The set is a two-disc affair and contains perhaps the greatest range of special features ever to grace disc. Looking at the list, it seems they have gone all out with the set. Not only do we get the original version remastered in HD but also the directors cut too. The sound has been cleaned up and now has lossless original stereo alongside four-channel mixes and a DTS-HD MA 5.1 surround sound option on both cuts of the movie. The set also includes six collectable postcards, a double-sided fold-out poster, a limited edition collector’s booklet and a reversible sleeve featuring the newly commissioned artwork for the set and the original film artwork.
The special features are extensive and include the archive commentary track from Verhoeven, Jon Davison and Ed Neumeier alongside new commentary tracks from film historian Paul M. Sammon, fans Eastwood Allen, Christopher Griffiths and Gary Smart. A newly filmed interview with co-writer Michael Miner is also included alongside a newly filmed interview with actress Nancy Allen, a split-screen comparison of both theatrical and directors cuts, four deleted scenes and a Robocop: Edited For Television featurette featuring alternate scenes for the television transmission that have been transferred in HD from newly discovered 35mm footage and a whole lot more besides.
LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS
- 4K restoration of the film from the original camera negative by MGM, transferred in 2013 and approved by director Paul Verhoeven
- Newly commissioned artwork by Paul Shipper
- Director’s Cut and Theatrical Cut of the film on two High Definition (1080p) Blu-ray discs
- Original lossless stereo and four-channel mixes plus DTS-HD MA 5.1 surround sound option on both cuts
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing on both cuts
- Six collector’s postcards (Limited Edition exclusive)
- Double-sided, fold-out poster (Limited Edition exclusive)
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork
- Limited edition collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by Omar Ahmed, Christopher Griffiths and Henry Blyth, a 1987 Fangoria interview with Rob Bottin, and archive publicity materials (some contents exclusive to Limited Edition)
DISC ONE – DIRECTOR’S CUT
- Archive commentary by director Paul Verhoeven, executive producer Jon Davison and co-writer Ed Neumeier (originally recorded for the Theatrical Cut and re-edited in 2014 for the Director’s Cut)
- New commentary by film historian Paul M. Sammon
- New commentary by fans Christopher Griffiths, Gary Smart and Eastwood Allen
- The Future of Law Enforcement: Creating RoboCop, a newly filmed interview with co-writer Michael Miner
- RoboTalk, a newly filmed conversation between co-writer Ed Neumeier and filmmakers David Birke (writer of Elle) and Nick McCarthy (director of Orion Pictures’ The Prodigy)
- Truth of Character, a newly filmed interview with star Nancy Allen on her role as Lewis
- Casting Old Detroit, a newly filmed interview with casting director Julie Selzer on how the film’s ensemble cast was assembled
- Connecting the Shots, a newly filmed interview with second unit director and frequent Verhoeven collaborator Mark Goldblatt
- Composing RoboCop, a new tribute to composer Basil Poledouris featuring film music experts Jeff Bond, Lukas Kendall, Daniel Schweiger and Robert Townson
- RoboProps, a newly filmed tour of super-fan Julien Dumont’s collection of original props and memorabilia
- 2012 Q&A with the Filmmakers, a panel discussion featuring Verhoeven, Davison, Neumeier, Miner, Allen, star Peter Weller and animator Phil Tippett
- RoboCop: Creating a Legend, Villains of Old Detroit and Special Effects: Then & Now, three archive featurettes from 2007 featuring interviews with cast and crew
- Paul Verhoeven Easter Egg
- Four deleted scenes
- The Boardroom: Storyboard with Commentary by Phil Tippett
- Director’s Cut Production Footage, raw dailies from the filming of the unrated gore scenes
- Two theatrical trailers and three TV spots
- Extensive image galleries
DISC TWO – THEATRICAL CUT
- Archive commentary by director Paul Verhoeven, executive producer Jon Davison and co-writer Ed Neumeier (originally recorded for Theatrical version of the film)
- Two Isolated Score tracks (Composer’s Original Mix and Final Theatrical Mix) in lossless stereo
- Edited-for-television version of the film, featuring alternate dubs, takes and edits of several scenes (95 mins, SD only)
- Split-screen comparison of Theatrical and Director’s Cuts
- RoboCop: Edited For Television, a compilation of alternate scenes from two edited-for-television versions, newly transferred in HD from recently-unearthed 35mm elements”
This release is the total package and it seems nothing has been left out for the fans of the film and for collectors. Furthermore, we are delighted to confirm that this set is definitely heading to the UK market. Arrow Films producer James Flower reached out to Future of the Force and dropped us a link to the UK release which is set to hit the shelves on November 25th and is available for pre-order now.
The set is due for release in US stores on December 17th. Any movie fan or collector should grab this exciting new set with both hands and marvel once again at one of the finest action/ black comedies ever made. And yes, I’d buy that for a dollar!
Until next time.
The Future of the Force. The future of pop culture writing.
Carl Roberts is a Senior Staff Writer and Books and Literature Correspondent for Future of the Force. He is passionate about Star Wars, Marvel, DC, Indiana Jones and Horror movies. Follow him on Twitter @CarlRoberts2 where he uses the force frequently!
Website | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
Source: Arrow Films | Arrow Films UK
Carl Roberts is the News Editor for The Future of the Force. Aside from being our horror genre aficionado, he is also passionate about Star Wars, Marvel, DC, and the Indiana Jones movies. Follow him on Twitter where he uses the force frequently!