The director spills the beans on his extended cut of Justice League and reveals a new clip featuring Black Suit Superman
Snyder fans rejoice.
Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it’s Zack Snyder debuting new footage from his long-awaited cut of Justice League. Call Perry White at the Daily Planet and tell him to hold the front page – have we got a story for you!
This past weekend, Zack Snyder was a special guest at Justice Con, an online fan convention benefitting the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention – and he was eager to share some info about his cut of Justice League. But the fun didn’t end there. The visionary director also unveiled a stunning new clip from the project featuring the Man Of Steel sporting his highly publicized black suit. Check out the clip below:
Wow. It’s great to finally see Henry Cavill walking tall in that stunning black suit. But as I said earlier, the fun didn’t end there. During his talk, Snyder elaborated on his version of Justice League and went on to confirm that EVERY single shot created by Joss Whedon would not make it into his cut. Here are the highlights:
- Snyder always had a trailer for his cut of Justice League and was tempted to sneak into Hall H and bribe the AV guy to show it.
- The film is set to hit HBO Max next year.
- Snyder says there is tons of work with all the VFX needed to put his version of Steppenwolf back in plus all the VFX on the additional scenes.
- He confirmed his original cut was complete in February 2017.
- He said that his movie is a super long version and that he had intended to shorten it to the studio mandated length. So the work he’s been doing is on his giant director’s cut.
- Always hoped he could show the long version of the film.
- Considered two hours a restrictive length for a movie like Justice League with all of these characters. “It’s hard to dig too deep in two hours. I’ve never been accused of making short movies….I feel like it’s a very natural length for this movie.”
- He shared his love for working with the original Steppenwolf design which was in all the pre-viz.
- “Zack Snyder’s Justice League” is the full, legal name of the film. It’s the correct way of looking at the movie because it’s a pure, unencumbered version of the movie.
- Snyder confirmed that when he shot Batman v Superman: Dawn Of Justice he shot much of it in IMAX and was obsessed with the pure IMAX 1:43 aspect ratio – in its full format which only exists in these science centers.
- Became obsessed with the “big square” as opposed to how anamorphic and wide movies are getting.
- Shot it as a 1:43 film with the idea it could be shown at these science centers. Wanted the entire film to be able to play in that massive ratio/
- Compositionally fell in love with that vertical ratio. Noted the Wonder Woman scene he released was full in-camera 1:43 ratio.
- Snyder said that his team has made a special shirt with “Associate Producer” labeled on it and a place to stencil in your name, as he considers everyone who supported the Snyder Cut producers. He also confirmed that the first 1000 will be free online at DC FanDome – the rest will support InkToThePeople
- When addressing Cavill’s infamous mustache – he mentions you will never see an image of him with a mustache in his cut.
- On whether he’d use some of Whedon’s scenes: “there will be no chance on earth…I would destroy the movie…I would set in on fire before I’d use a frame I didn’t shoot”
- Snyder confirmed that Junkie XL is working like a maniac on the score right now.
- Snyder revealed that no black Superman suit was made – instead, the above clip was color corrected – and confirmed that the studio did not want a black suit.
- In regards to Ray Fisher, Snyder confirmed that Fisher hasn’t seen his cut and he won’t let him see it until it’s done as the movie is really about him.
- Snyder revealed that he produced a cut of the movie in black & white which changed his way of looking at the film but the final cut will be in color but “my color”.
- He would not reveal whether the movie would be separated into a series or whether it would remain as a VERY long movie but he confirmed that he will reveal all at DC FanDome. However, he did say that the movie is currently clocking in at more than 214 minutes now and that a series would suit the project better.
- When asked about the unfortunate events that led to him abandoning the project, Snyder revealed that it was his and Deborah Snyder’s decision to leave the movie but they had no say on who replaced them (Joss Whedon).
- And finally, Snyder revealed that a teaser trailer will be revealed at DC FanDome!
Check out the full panel below:
Admittedly, I have never been the biggest Zack Snyder fan, but I am ridiculously excited to see his original vision of Justice League. Over time, I have come to appreciate certain aspects of Whedon’s vision while berating others, but I have always wondered what Snyder’s original vision would have looked like. Despite offering some wonderful moments, Whedon’s Justice League was far from what the audience was expecting and the timing could not be better for both versions to be made available for the public to dissect and scrutinize to our heart’s content.
All eyes will be on DC FanDome next month for our first look at the awesome teaser trailer and some juicy information about the overall finished project and HBO Max‘s plans to distribute it. Exciting times in the DC Universe!
The Future of the Force. The future of pop culture writing.
Phil Roberts is the Owner, Daily Content Manager, and Editor-In-Chief of The Future of the Force. He is passionate about Star Wars, Batman, DC, Marvel, Star Trek, Indiana Jones, Ghostbusters, King Kong, and the Ray Harryhausen movies. Follow him on Twitter @philthecool where he uses the force and babbles frequently!